Friday, October 15, 2010

"ing" words

"It's hard to soar with eagles if you write like a turkey!" I laughed when I read this quote in Don't Let Your Participles Dangle in Public. Sometimes I reread my writing and wonder what "turkey" wrote that!

I didn't really find anything in the book about "ing" words besides the discussion on participles. Course, I didn't read the whole book either. I don't remember where I first learned about "ing" words, so, I'll just give my take on the subject.

In some instances the words can actually be the verb. Check your sentences. Anytime I read a manuscript in my critique group, I search for inactive verbs, "ly," and "ing" words. Many times the verbs are passive but can be changed to active simply by changing the participles. Along those lines, most adverbs or adjectives are unneccessary. Take them out and make the verb stronger and active. 

With all my concentration on the elimination of  "ing" words, my editor changed my manuscript and added a couple. My critique group and I got a good laugh out of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment