Monday, December 13, 2010

Books and Christmas

Sales! Sales! And more sales! Even my book with a release date of February 15th is already listed at a discounted price for pre-orders on Amazon.com and Barnes & Noble website. Last time I looked Borders and Pelican had it at full price.

Books make wonderful Christmas gifts. I've given The Polar Express and The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey to all my grandchildren as well as other children I know.

I've written articles on giving books. "Book of the Month Club" gives a book each month in honor of a child's birthday or to extend Christmas throughout the year. Depending on the child's age, Newbery and Caldecott books make great gifts. To make it easier, buy stamps ahead of time and mailing envelops. You can even buy the books early. I once found one in a grocery store sale bin - Click, Clack, Moo which was an honor winner.

Another darling book for younger children is Ellen Javernick's The Birthday Pet. Check for local authors and try to fit their books with the children on your list. Getting an autograph is also a plus. For special children, give the gift of an author visit to their class. In my case, I'm offering free presentations for launch of the book for the remainder of the 2010-2011 school year. I still require reimbursement of travel expenses for out of town.

Series books are always a hit. Libraries have lists of popular series by age. Just ask the resource desk. Think the Bailey School Kids, Magic School Bus, and many others. Check Debbie Dadey's website for several series.

Think books for gifts. Start a child's library at a young age. They'll become avid readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment