Monday, January 10, 2011

Better Late Than Never!

Today was filled. First I attended my Bible study lecture only and skipped the homework small group discussion. Didn't think I could leave my husband who is recovering from knee surgery for too long by himself. Actually he wasn't alone. Our cleaning lady came and I arrive home in time to feed her lunch as I usually do. Then it was time for his rehap. We were 30 minutes earlier than his appointment because neither of us checked the calendar. So, I spent an hour and a half reading and napping! Then, we were home again just in time to fix and serve dinner. Now, I am ready to post. A little late, but better late than never.

Writers often have little confidence. I received an email written in 2008 for two publications. Unfortunately I couldn't find a link on either website - Institute of Children's Literature or Kid Magazine Writers. In it the author gave reasons authors/writers should not lose confidence.

The title,  "The Big Acceptance," mislead the readers to think about article/story/book acceptance. Instead, the article addressed the acceptance of ourselves as writers. Writers need to know their genres which suit their interests and writing. Some know exactly where they fit. Good. Others are less aware of their strong points.

Many of us know where we don't fit. That is a plus. No time wasted submitting where we know we have weaknesses. Stick to those places where we feel confidence and receive acceptance. Trying something new is good. It helps to get out of our comfortable box. But, don't stress over rejections from those areas. Tweak the writing and send it where you know you fit.

If dissatisfaction rules, do something constructive to improve - take a writing course, read writer magazines, and attend a conference to get re-energized. When your acceptances occur, realize you are contributing with a wonderful gift for writing, not matter the publication.

Remember that even if no one comments on our writing, enjoy the successes that come. Accept ourselves as unique and special writers.

Give yourselves a star. You deserve it.

I understand that some people have had a hard time or haven't been able to comment on this blog. I'm working on the problem. In the meantime, send me an email and I'll review your comments in the posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment